How to access trace logs?

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I am trying to work with TFS Aggregator, but I am having some problems. I would like to be able to figure out what the errors are and try to resolve them, but can't seem to find the trace log messages in my System or Application event logs on the TFS server.

Can you help me find the logging information?
Developer
Jun 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Hi campbeltr,

There are two parts to enable logging. The first is that you have to add a loggingVerbosity attribute to the AggregatorItems element in your AggregatorItems.xml file. There are two valid values, Normal and Diagnostic. Normal will give you just exception messages, Diagnostic will give you detailed logging.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<AggregatorItems tfsServerUrl="http://[yourTFSServer]:8080/tfs/[yourTeamProjectCollection]" loggingVerbosity="Diagnostic">
Then you need to download DebugView from Microsoft's SysInternals site. DebugView is a Trace Listener and will capture the trace messages from TFSAggregator. You have to run DebugView on the TFS App Tier machine.

I would recommend adding the following filter to DebugView so that you only see the TFSAggregator traces.
*TFSAggregator:*
Download DebugView at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647
Jul 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Hi sstjean,

I've the same problem as campbeltr. Therefore I tried to use DebugView as you mentioned. It seems not to work at all at my site. Do you have any suggestion?
Do I need a reboot after changing the xml with the rules?

Can you give me a hint how to use the DebugView?
May 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Hi

I am encountering the same problem, I have compiled TFS 2013 under feature folder, I made a simple AggregatorItems.xml and enabled the Logging. Copied the .dll and .xml file to Plugins folder. I start DebugView but nothings is shown in debugView.

What I missed?

the picture is attached.
Developer
May 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Hi RezaRahmati,

I always change the default Capture settings. Try adding Capture Global Win32 and Capture Kernel in the Capture menu as shown below. Because you are capturing everything, you will need to apply the filter I described earlier in this thread.