Kanban?

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Hi there -- the TFS Aggregator is awesome!!!  I want to use it to limit the number of work items that can be in a specific state at a specific time.    For example, I want to make sure that we never have more than 8 tasks In Progress -- additional tasks should not be allowed to transition into In Progress until the current work is complete.  I'm not sure if the TFS Aggregator is right for the full implementation, but I'm thinking it might be useful for some of it -- do you have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Matt

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2011 at 7:53 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2011 at 7:55 AM

I could see that working.  As long as the work items have a parent in common then it would not be too hard.

Right now I have aggregations that total all the time remaining for the tasks on a sprint.  It would be possible to add a new aggregation type that would check the total items in a given state/value and if a threshold was exceeded then to revert the state back to a configuration based state/value.

However, it is important to note that the actual change has already happened.  I don't think state change is "preventable" (though I could be wrong).   If someone moved a work item to "in progress" and TFS Aggregator saw that it should not happen then the work item would show in the history as having moved to "in progress" then having TFS Aggregator move it back to "not done" (or what ever state specified in the config file).

I have to admit that it sounds intriguing.  I may give it a go when I have some time....