Working on TFS2013 with Conchango ScrumForTeamSystem v3

Dec 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM
We recently upgraded to TFS 2013 from TFS 2010. Our 2010 system used Conchango's ScrumForTeamSystem v3 project template, which came with an aggregation and transition service that did a similar job to TFS Aggregator. I tried installing that on TFS 2013 and it didn't work so I decided to have a go with this one rather than getting under the hood of Conchango's cancelled project (the source is currently available for that too).

We downloaded changeset 28153 from this site.

Issues we had and how we fixed them:
  • At first we couldn't build in Release configuration, that was found to be due to some incorrect paths and it built fine once these were resolved (I wasn't involved at this stage so don't know the details).
  • Once built and installed as per the instructions we had a similar issue to others in that it didn't appear to do or log anything even when configured for "Diagnostic" logging. In our case I think this was because the tfsServerUrl that had been configured included the project name at the end of the url rather than just the server and project collection. Having looked at the code I think if it doesn't get past this stage then it hasn't got as far as trying to log anything useful yet, I'm not certain, but that's how it appeared to me.
  • Once the above was fixed we started getting log output that showed recognition of the fact changes had been made to a child task, but no parent was found. I added some more logging to the code to figure out why and then realised that when trying to identify parent items as aggregation candidates, the TFS Aggregator looks at the links for the item that changed until it finds a LinkTypeEnd.Name value that equals "Parent" (similarly when looking for children to aggregate for a parent's value it looks for "Child"). This is hard coded in the TFS Aggregator, but the Conchango ScrumForTeamSystem project template uses link end names "Implements" and "Implemented By" instead of "Parent" and "Child", so nothing was aggregated for us. I changed the code to allow these values to be set in the config file and now it all works fine.
Outstanding issue
The service that came with the Conchango ScrumForTeamSystem template enabled transitions to be copied from parent to children rather than just from child to parent (i.e. if a PBI is set to "Deleted" then so are its tasks, or if a PBI changes iteration or release, then so do its tasks). We're prepared to live without this functionality for now but it would be nice to have. I might one day have a go at adding this functionality to our copy of TFS Aggregator and/or try upgrading Conchango's service to work with TFS 2013, I'm in no hurry to do either though.

I hope this post proves helpful to someone.
Feb 9, 2015 at 4:48 PM
Did you change the TFSaccess file to include network credentials or is aggregator running on the active directory?
Feb 9, 2015 at 6:02 PM
I tried both but could not get the object to work either way. I ended up writing my own code, that fires as part of the event subscriber

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:43 AM
Sorry for the delay, I only just noticed the questions when coming here to research for our TFS 2015 upgrade.

We didn't change TFSAccess.cs, I'm going to take an educated guess and say that I reckon it's authenticating using AD.