TFS Aggregator Simply Not Working

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM
All,

I just emailed the creator as well, but this is simply doing nothing for me. I must be a moron, because the steps are impossible to mess up.

1) Moved the DLL's into the correct plugin folder
2) Updated the xml file to a very very simple aggregation (see it at the bottom)
3) Restarted IIS each time I changed anything
4) Added a new field to PBI WIT called Total Original Estimate
5) Source field is an existing field on a task called Original Estimate

Nothing ever gets populated in the TOE field.

Here is my very very simple xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<AggregatorItems tfsServerUrl="http://rastfs:8080/tfs/pc" loggingVerbosity="Diagnostic" > <AggregatorItem operation="Sum" linkType="Parent" linkLevel="1" workItemType="Task"> <TargetItem name="Total Original Estimate"/> <SourceItem name="Original Estimate"/> </AggregatorItem> It doesn't get any simpler than that. As I said, nothing aggregates. And, when I run DebugView on the server, it captures nothing no matter what I do. And yes, I have verified 10 times over that the serverurl is absolutely correct. BTW, it's TFS '12 with Update 2.

Any ideas?
Sep 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Hello! Have you installed the aggregator, or all attempts were unsuccessful?
Sep 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM
No, it doesn’t do anything for me. All of the info and screen shots were in the post.
Sent from Windows Mail
From: Alena2713
Sent: ‎September‎ ‎5‎, ‎2013 ‎4‎:‎25‎ ‎AM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: TFS Aggregator Simply Not Working [TFSAggregator:455136]

From: Alena2713

Hello! Have you installed the aggregator, or all attempts were unsuccessful?
May 28, 2014 at 9:44 PM
Having similar issues. Did you ever find a resolution to your issue(s)? What was the solution.

Really wishing there was more community/developer support on this product. So close to being an extremely valuable tool.
Coordinator
May 28, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Edited May 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM
@Rudy - Feel free to submit pull requests :)

The sad truth of it is that I have a full time job and a family. I needed this project for my company, so I coded it and posted it for everyone to use as best they can.

But it does not pay my bills. So I must give my time to that which does.

If you are interested it providing support let me know. But the sad truth is that many want free support, but they are not willing to be one that does the work to provide it. NOTE: I am in this same boat. While my job allowed me to, I was able to put a lot of time into this project. But now I cannot.
May 30, 2014 at 1:07 AM
Nope. I gave up and bagged the product as a result of extremely poor support. It didn't work right out of the box.


Dec 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM
I guess this is probably too little too late, but for the benefit of anyone who comes across this thread with similar issues, the OP has a syntax error in the XML posted above.

It lacks a closing "</AggregatorItems>" tag at the end.

This may or may not be the cause of their issue, but it's worth ensuring your XML is sound before looking for more complicated problems.

Another thing I've found worth making sure is correct is the tfsServerUrl setting. The one used above may well have been correct, but it's worth noting that this URL needs to be for the project collection, NOT including a project name.

In my experience I've found that if this plugin doesn't find its self configured correctly and pointing at a valid work item type within a valid project collection then it will log nothing. Get everything set up right and it seems to work fine (I'm about to start a new thread with some highlights of what I needed to do to make it work on our system).