Time recording with TFS Aggregator in Agile project

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:52 AM

We are using TFS to record time developers spent on individual tasks. I have created a new work item type "Time Recording Entry" which developers create and link to the task as the work progresses. TFS aggregator is used to aggregate the Completed Work from the time recording entries and update the Completed Work against the task.

The aggregation is working well, but I have a problem with the tasks that are not completed in one sprint and get carried forward to the next sprint. What happens is that certain TFS reports are invalid, for example burn down charts, as they show completed work from the previous sprint.

For example:

Sprint 1
Task A, time recorded 2 x 7.5 hours, TFS aggregator sets completed work for that task to 15 hours which is correct

Sprint 2
Task A was not completed in Sprint 1, is carried forward to Sprint 2
Time recorded 1 x 7.5 hours, TFS aggregator sets completed work for this task to 22.5 hours, which then shows a massive overrun on TFS reports for this sprint

I am wondering if someone else experienced the same issue and how you solved it. One approach I am thinking of is to never carry forward incomplete tasks to the next sprint, but create a fresh copy instead. This is not very neat so I am wondering if anyone found a better solution?

Thanks in advance

May 3, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I'm currently leaving all the tasks to the initial sprint and I'm copying the active ones to the new tasks and I'm removing the associated changesets. In that way I don't mess with the charts.