Aggregating on multiple nested Task Work Items...

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:11 PM

First, just wanted to say that TFS Aggregator is working great for our company! Thanks so much for building it.

Two questions.

I am currently using the Scrum 1.0 Template, and we're primarily working with PBI's and Task work items. Right now, I have any Task child of a PBI aggregating the "Remaining Work" fields into the "Effort" field of the PBI, and this works perfectly. Where I'm running into some problems is if someone creates multiple nested Task Work Items under a given PBI. Example

- PBI
-----Task
----------Task

I still want to aggregate up through all my tasks to the parent PBI, but can't quite find the XML to do so. Is this even possible using TFS Aggregator?

Secondly, I'd like to make the Effort field of all PBI's read-only and require at least one Task to be created as a child of the PBI (this is just how our work flow at our company is done). When I make the field ready only on the PBI, that field stops updating when I update any immediate children that are tasks under that PBI. Is there a way to keep the users from changing the "Effort" field by hand, and just keeping that as a read-only aggregate of all child tasks?

Thanks so much,
Mike

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2011 at 6:15 PM

mcamike,

I too have had that problem (sub tasks).  I have a version that I am running (that is very alpha) that has a fix in it.  I will try to upload it soon (but it will be a use at your own risk version).

As for the read only, you need to make the control read only not the field.  If you make the field read only then it is truly read only and any update to it will fail.

Vaccano

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Wow, thanks for the super-fast reply! For now, we'll just limit single-nested Tasks to a given PBI, and if and when you come out with the Alpha, I might have a spare TFS server instance in which to test it. Also, thanks for the heads up on making the control read-only, not the field.

Very cool product you got here. Thanks for making it and distributing it!